Monday, December 12, 2005

Chapter Two (or, Why Am I Such A Screw-Up?)

As of this morning, Hold My Life entered the second chapter of the first storyline in the saga of Penny Heartbreaker. I am jazzed, because I've had this part of the story rolling around in my head since, well, pretty much since I drew the very first sketch of Penny and was figuring out who she was and what her story was.

It just hit me last week that I'd gotten this far. On the one hand, I was jazzed, because it represents something of a milestone for me. I'd managed to get the story told up to this crucial point, where things begin to come together and we start to see what this is all about. We're going somewhere. But on the other hand, as I realized where I'd gotten in the story, I also realized that, as a writer or an artist or whatever I am, I really haven't been here saying much of anything on my blog, or maintaining any sort of online presence that seems to be so important in promoting a webcomic to a larger audience.

Y'see, I remember this summer at Comic-Con, the one thing that all the webcomickers kept repeating is that the best way to promote your webcomic is to post on message boards, specifically webcomics message boards, to get your series in front of potential readers. Actually, Scott Kurtz suggested starting shit with a popular webcomic creator and getting them to hate on you, which, although fun, just isn't my style. But the point of what I got from those suggestions was that it's important to maintain some sort of online presence in order to expose yourself to that audience that just doesn't know about your series.

I think about that statement, and I wonder "well, if I'm doing that, how exactly am I supposed to get the comic done each week?"

I guess the solution is that I'm going to have to make time in which to do this sort of thing, and to not allow myself to make excuses, same as I do with the comic itself...and stop sleeping at night.
Anyway, back to my point. Hold My Life, Chapter Two. New Outfit, Same Attitude, whatever that means. Seems like as good a time as any to crawl out from underneath the rock under which I've been hiding and start blogging again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home