Saturday, September 11, 2004

What happened to my week?

Short week because of the holiday, which blew right past like it was nothing... the operative term here being 'blew'. I'm optimistic about this weekend, though. I didn't have to suffer through another Friday night of what'sername swigging liberally from my drink all night, while she proceeded to give me unsolicited advice about how to run my life. And, hopefully, as long as nothing goes wrong tonight, nobody's car will be towed at 2 am.

Do I seem bitter? I'm not, really.

I'd hoped to have revamped karmic calamity this week, but it didn't work out that way. I did get it on the web, which was a minor accomplishment, but I'm already planning to change it into something more than it already is.

Y'see, I'd initially conceived of it as a site where I could develop original webcomics of my own, like Hold My Life, and a couple other things I had in mind. I wanted to experiment with Flash and see if I could come up with a way to make a webcomic that really worked, instead of just scanning a comic book page and plunking it on the web. I also wanted to post preview pages from Mass Disruption, because it's a great comic that needs a publisher. Any attention that could be brought to that project could only help.

Last week, though, like most weeknights, we were having a few drinks @ the Pit. A close friend had suggested that the site could be a lot more ambitious than it is. We got to talking about it, and another brilliant Pit scheme was born. What if we allowed others to submit work to karmic calamity? As long as they were up to a certain standard of presentation and skill, it could be a great site for great webcomics. As many of them are @ the Pit, it was a great conversation, and we came up with a lot of ideas.

All of it had reminded me of some conversations I'd had with Brent Simons, the writer of Mass Disruption, about creating a site where writers and artists could find collaborators for their own projects. It seemed to make sense now. A place to bring writers, artists, and maybe even people proficient in Flash, together so they can create great work together. And then karmic calamity can host these projects. Extensive preview content, then set the rest up on a Bitpay system so everybody can get paid for this.

And then... Greg offered to bring his critically acclaimed Ninja Ducks series out of retirement. And thus, a line of comics was born. He's already handed in two episodes, clearly he's more prolific than I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home