Friday, November 12, 2004

Returning to captivity once more...

Well, I'm back at work today, Chore Boy won't be reappearing until tomorrow.

I didn't get around to Denny O'Neil's Iron Man run, which is a total bummer. I haven't read that run since the books originally came out in the 80's. I sold a bunch of comics in 1990, and my Iron Man run was one of them. It was a big mistake, selling those comics, I know that now. At least now, I'm able to replace a bunch of those books that I got rid of 14 years ago.

I've really been looking forward to reading these books once more, I remember them fondly, even though it just tore me apart reading them at the time they were published. Denny O'Neil put Tony Stark through hell during this run. In the span of a few months, Tony Stark lost his company, his personal fortune, and flat out gave the Iron Man armor away. He lost, quite literally, everything, even losing his starring role in the Iron Man comic for a time. I don't know how much lower a man can sink than to be relegated to the part of 'supporting character' in your own comic book. The entire story spanned over three years of monthly comics, and there wasn't a single character in the book who was left unchanged at the end.

I can remember every single month, getting that book and thinking "this is the issue where Tony turns everything around again. He'll get the armor back now for sure!" I was naive, what can I say? I was also wrong every single month for quite some time, but man, I was along for the ride every single month, and when we finally came to the resolution of the story, it was a truly great payoff, and one that was well worth waiting for. Even if it did result in one of the goofier armor designs of Iron Man's long history. The freelancers currently writing for Marvel could learn a lot about writing comic books from this story, or any number of stories that came out of the Shooter Era of Marvel comics. Unfortunately, I don't think they're interested.

Well, at least it's Friday. Maybe I'll have time to get that in this weekend sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home