Sunday, September 26, 2004

And now... the Plastic Flappybats!

Our band is called the Plastic Flappybats. We're the greatest 2 piece Replacements cover band that works in Classified Advertising at the Arizona Republic. And Friday night-- we rocked the Pit.

We're kind of the house band, along with another 2 piece called Mustard, who gets together once a month to just sort'a play and drink and have fun at our favorite bar. It's a great time.

Earlier in the week, what with my ongoing stomach issues, I really wondered if I was gonna make it at all, or if Greg was gonna have to stand up there by himself playing Replacements songs. Our Wednesday night Jam turned into me crawling around on my floor in agony, before retreating to the safety of a scalding hot bath. It didn't look good, but I swore I'd be okay by Friday. I had to. I'd been looking forward to this for a month.

And I was. The medication my doc gave me started kicking in, and by Friday, I was basically functioning like a normal human being again. Even better, I wanted to play. I stopped on the way downtown and grabbed a smoothie at Jamba Juice on Central. I've come to realize that smoothies are awesome, especially when they're a yogurt blend sort of a thing. Just awesome. Besides, I can't drink or smoke, I'd might as well drink smoothies.

Our plan this time around, was to play nothing but Replacements songs and Paul Westerberg solo songs, all night long. Not that this was very different than any other night that we play. Our set is usually at least 85% Mats, but this time, we decided to just go full on with it and not do anything else.

Of course, then Johnny Ramone died, and we felt obliged to mix in a couple of Ramones songs out of respect for him. But that was a total of four songs out of our entire evening.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. It was strange playing completely sober, but it was a great show. I feel like we nailed a lot of what we did. Greg definitely nailed the guitar part on Favorite Thing. Next time we do that, I wanna just belt that out. I had to hold back because I was still a little weak by the end of the evening Friday. Didn't want to collapse on the floor mid-show.

As far as I can remember, we played (in no particular order):
I Will Dare
Love Untold
The Ledge
Sadly Beautiful
Let's Not Belong Together
Can't Hardly Wait
Skyway
Here Comes A Regular
Favorite Thing
Runaway Wind
Silent Film Star
Kiss Me On The Bus
If there's anybody out there in Phoenix who's a Mats fan, we're playing again on October 29. Two idiots, 2 guitars, no talent, all Mats/Westerberg. Email me for directions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home